Saint Christophers ChapelPrint Page
Saint Christophers Chapel was erected by members of the American army while training in the district and has been maintained to preserve the link between Australia and the American servicemen during World War Two. A band rotunda commemorating Master Sergeant J Bauman 41st US division is beside the chapel.
St Christopher’s Chapel was named after St Christopher, the patron Saint of Travellers. It was built by the 542 Engineering Ship and Shore, Battalion, U.S. Army in 1943. This unit later saw action in New Guinea and the Philippines. The area around the Chapel was largely a convalescent camp for American troops based around Rockhampton and other American units who had been sent back to Rockhampton for a rest period after combat operations in the islands. During the peak time of the American occupation there were over seventy thousand American troops stationed in the Rockhampton area.
On the 10th August 1947, a service was held in the chapel by St Andrew's Presbyterian Church and conducted by the Reverend J.W. Stewart Lang in commemoration of the part played by the American nation in maintaining our freedom. Each year, nearest to American Independance Day, a service at the chapel is held in honour of American servicemen who fought in World War Two.
The Central Queensland Herald (Rockhampton) 31st July 1947, 5th July 1956.
|Address:||St Christophers Chapel Rd, Nerimbera, 4701|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -23.422263|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1943|