Centaur Guest House (Arcadian Beach House)Print Page
The Arcadian Beach House was originally known as Centaur Guest house built as a memorial to the hospital ship Centaur which was torpedoed by the Japanese during World War Two.
The land was first purchased in 1929, then transferred to the Townsville hospital for management by its trustee’s. The original building was constructed in 1946 and opened in 1947 as a holiday hostel for nurses. Nurses from the Townsville region were able to visit Magnetic Island and stay at the hostel for a small price. Later, this offer was extended to include any registered nurse in Australia.
In 1963,recognising the need for more accommodation on Magnetic Island, the property was leased out and converted into a guesthouse for tourists. The property was subsequently sold to private enterprise in 2006. The new owners undertook a major redevelopment by adding new facilities, updating the amenities and modernising the rooms.
The trustees of the Centaur Memorial fund propose to have a rest home erected for nurses on Magnetic Island. The President of the Committee stated that the land had been owned by the Townsville Hospital Board and had recently been handed over to the trustees who have undertaken to erect a home to accommodate 10 nurses. The original objective of £65000 for the Centaur House proposal had been practically realised and an appeal would be made for additional funds. A concert tour has been arranged with Miss Gladys Moncrief and a talented party of artists who will perform in Cairns and Innisfail. The whole profit from the tour will be devoted to the Magnetic Island Project and is expected to cost £7000.
Cairns Post (Qld), 28th January 1950.
|Address:||27 Marine Parade, Alma Bay, Magnetic Island, 4819|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -19.152299|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||14-May-1943|
|Actual Event End Date:||14-May-1943|