Coolangatta-Tweed Heads War MemorialPrint Page
The Coolangatta-Tweed Heads War Memorial honours the 508 men and women of the district who served during World War Two.
The clock on the memorial was dedicated to Sister Stewart who spoke the famous words "Girls, take it. Don't squeal," when she and 20 other nursing sisters were massacred by the Japanese on Banka Island during World War two. The original clock was stolen in 1948. The new clock was installed in 1955 to commemorate the golden anniversary of the founding of Rotary. The memorial originally stood in front of the old Council Chambers in Griffith Street.
In May 1949, the Coolangatta Memorial Committee had funds in hand for the erection of a clock and base outside the Council Chambers which would serve to honour those who enlisted in World War Two.
The Courier Mail, 11th May 1949.
|Address:||Marine Parade , near Warner Street, Coolangatta, 4225|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -28.167371|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||circa 1949|
IN HONOUR OF
THE 508 MEN AND WOMEN
OF THE TWIN TOWNS
COOLANGATTA TWEED HEADS
WHO SERVED IN
HIS MAJESTYS FORCES
IN THE WORLD WAR
1939 - 1945