St Monica`s War Memorial CathedralPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by John Huth

The Cathedral was dedicated as a memorial to the Battle of the Coral Sea which was fought due east of Cairns from the 4th to the 8th of May 1942.

In November 1969 the Colours of the 51st Infantry Battalion, the Far North Queensland Regiment, were put 'to rest' on the wall in the sanctuary of the Cathedral.

In September 1995 the 'Peace Window' was installed to coincide with the Victory in the Pacific celebrations in Far North Queensland, celebrating 50 years of peace in the Pacific.


Address:183 Abbott St, Cairns, 4870
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -16.91686
Long: 145.772902
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event STart Date:03-September-1939
Actual Event End Date:15-August-1945
Monument Manufacturer:Ian Ferrier (architect)


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Monday 8th July, 1968
Front Inscription

St Monica`s War Memorial Cathedral

A Memorial To The Members Of The Allied Forces
Who Gave Their Lives In The Defence Of Australia
In The Battle Of The Coral Sea, May 1942.

Was Consecrated To The Service Of Almighty God
                   On July 8th, 1968 By
His Grace the Most Rev. T. V. Cahill D.D., PH.D.,
         Archbishop of Canberra - Goulburn
             And Solemnly Opened By
His Eminence The Most Rev. N. T. Cardinal Gilroy
                 Archbishop of Sydney
              On Sunday July 14th, 1968

Source: MA,QHR
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design