Catalina MemorialPrint Page
Memorial erected by people of Cairns during its centenary year in 1976 and surviving members of the Catalina Squadrons in memory of the 320 airmen who failed to return while flying Catalinas in the South West Pacific campaigns during World War Two. Further plaques were added to the memorial in 1993.
The Catalina was designed in the 1930s as a long-range reconnaissance flying boat. The Royal Australian Air Force used them not just for reconnaissance and rescue, but also as bombers in the war against the Japanese. The Catalina`s had the highest loss rate of any RAAF aircraft in the south-west Pacific area. The Catalinas operated out of Cairns during World War Two.
|Address:||Abbott Street, Cairns, 4870|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -16.913447|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 9th October, 1976|