Australian Women`s Army ServicePrint Page
A plaque commemorates those who served at home and abroad with the Australian Women's Army Service during World War Two.
The Australian Women's Army Service (AWAS) was established on 13 August 1941, to release men from certain military duties for service with fighting units. The Service recruited women between the ages of 18 and 45 and they served in a variety of roles including clerks, typists, cooks and drivers. In 1945 a contingent was sent to Lae and a small group went to Holland. In June 1947, owing to the end of World War II, the AWAS was disbanded.
|Address:||Ann Street, ANZAC Square, Shrine of Remembrance Crypt, Brisbane, 4000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.466428|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
AUSTRALIAN WOMENS ARMY SERVICE Association Of Queensland
In Memory Of A.W.A.S. Who Served At Home & Abroad During World War II
Honour Dedication Service