St Joseph`s Tobruk Memorial SchoolPrint Page Print this page

St Joseph`s Tobruk Memorial School was built in memory of the men who served at Tobruk.

The Parish Priest (Fr Owen Steele) had asked the Sisters of St Joseph, whose founder is Blessed Mary MacKillop, to establish the school.

It is from Fr (later Monsignor) Steele that the school gained its title Tobruk Memorial. During the North African campaign, Fr Owen Steele became one of the famous "Rats of Tobruk". On his return to Australia in 1943, Archbishop Duhig appointed him as Parish Priest of Beaudesert. St Joseph's was built in memory of the men who served at Tobruk.

The Rats of Tobruk continue to associate with the school through the Beenleigh RSL at Mt Warren Park. Several surviving Rats of Tobruk were involved in an RSL sponsored fundraiser for the school after the fire that destroyed the original school building in October 2006.

Australia's No. 1 "Tobruk Rat," Lt-Gen. Sir Leslie Morshead, renewed acquaintances with 57 other "Rats" at  Beenleigh yesterday. Former GOC AIF in the Middle East, Sir Leslie was at Beenleigh to attend the dedication ceremony of the new £26,000 St. Joseph's Tobruk Memorial Convent School.

More than 1,000 people attended the ceremony, which was performed by the Coadjutor-Archbishop of Brisbane (Dr. O'Donnell). Sir Leslie unveiled a photograph of the first Tobruk memorial at Tobruk.
The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA), 26 October 1953.


Address:53 Kokoda Street , Beenleigh, 4207
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.712668
Long: 153.200321
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 25th October, 1953
Source: MIV, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design