2nd / 4th Machine Gun BattalionPrint Page
Plaque commemorates the battalions work in building machine gun defences at Winnelie and Casuarina during World War Two.
Western Australia’s 2/4th Machine Gun Battalion was raised at the end of 1940 as one of the support units for the ill-fated 8th Division. Formed with men from across the state, they all came together at Northam military camp, east of Perth, where they carried out their initial training. In July 1941 the 2/4th moved to Adelaide and as more of the 8th Division was deployed “up north”, by October it was in Darwin with the 23rd Brigade.
|Address:||The Esplanade, Darwin Cenotaph Bicentennial Park, Darwin, 0800|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -12.466688|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||May-2008|