Preolenna CenotaphPrint Page
A cenotaph commemorates the residents of Preolenna who served in World War Two.
A war memorial inscribed with the names of 20 men who served in the Second World War was, unveiled at Preolenna on Saturday. A "Back to Preolenna Day" was held in conjunction with the ceremony, which was attended by about 300 residents and former residents of the district from as far away as Devonport and Smithton. The memorial was built by local effort, and funds were raised by a local war memorial committee. The inlaid inscribed block was the work of Mr. Reid, of Oldina. Children of the school formed a guard of honor as Mr. H. W. Byard (president of the committee) and Mr. P. Williams, both of whom had sons in the war, performed the unveiling ceremony.
Advocate (Burnie), 28th November 1949.
|Address:||Preolenna Road, Preolenna, 7325|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.084711|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 26th November, 1949|
Erected by the residents of Preolenna in honour of those who served King and country
World War 1939 - 1945
[ Names ]
Lest We Forget
Note : the “Tasmanian War Memorials Data Base” , compiled by Fred Thornett which is located at the State Library of Tasmania, contains a comprehensive listing of the names on this monument.