www.monumentaustralia.org.au

St John the Theologian ChurchPrint Page Print this page

The chapel, officially known as the St John the Theologian chapel, was built in the late '70s by Prevelly's founder, Geoff Edwards. He named the settlement and built the chapel to commemorate the people and monks of the Holy Monastery of Preveli in Crete, who helped him and other servicemen survive and escape the Battle of Crete in World War II.

In August 1941, Geoffrey Edwards of Armadale, Western Australia was evacuated from Crete on the HMS Thrasher, and vowed never to forget the Greek people and, in particular, the monks of the Holy Monastery of Preveli for saving his and other Allied troops lives from the 2/11th Infantry Battalion during the Battle of Crete. The monastery was a rallying point at the time for British, New Zealand and Australian soldiers who escaped from prisoner of war camps. After Edwards escaped capture, a shepherd led him to the safety of the Preveli cloisters, which overlooked the Libyan Sea, from where he was later liberated. Determined to memorialise his experiences in Crete, he began construction on the Saint John the Theologian chapel at Prevelly Park over thirty-five years after his escape, dedicating it to the Greek people as a token of his gratitude, especially Agathangelos Lagouvardos, the Head Monk of the Preveli Monastery and the many villagers from surrounding areas who did so much for Allied Servicemen during that time. It stands as a permanent monument to remind those who visit, regardless of ethnic background, of the debt and gratitude owed to the Cretan people by the allied soldiers who fought during the Battle of Crete.

Location

Address:Mitchell Drive, St John the Theologian Church, Prevelly, 6285
State:WA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.977222
Long: 114.993333
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW2
Actual Event STart Date:03-September-1939
Actual Event End Date:15-August-1945

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Monday 4th June, 1979
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design