Prisoner of War Camp MemorialPrint Page
Monument erected by Italian prisoners of No. 16 Prisoner of War Camp it is the only known monument erected by enemy POWs still in existence in Australia.
The parade ground, retaining walls and steps along with the monuments are a symbolic demonstration of Italian POW stone masonry and ingenuity in constructing a large facility without mechanical assistance in a short time, May-September 1946. The existence of a time capsule in one of the monuments demonstrates the daily living conditions of Italian POWs in 1946.
In the 1940s, Northam Army Camp became the ‘final’ internment camp for Italian Prisoners of War awaiting repatriation after the end of the Second World War.
|Address:||Great Eastern Highway, 4 kilometres south-west of Northam, Northam, 6401|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.672778|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|