H.M.A.S. Kalgoorlie PlaquePrint Page
Memorial is a metal insignia and plaque on a wooden board above a glazed framed photograph of H.M.A.S. Kalgoorlie and a glazed framed presentation certificate.
HMAS Kalgoorlie named for the city of Kalgoorlie, Western Australia, was one of 60 Bathurst class corvettes constructed during World War Two.
|Address:||Wilson & Hannan Streets, Kalgoorlie Town Hall, Kalgoorlie, 6430|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -30.748889|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1944|
This plaque was presented by the Municipality of Kalgoorlie to the crew of the Corvette H.M.A.S. "Kalgoorlie" in 1944 and was placed in the custody of the Kalgoorlie Municipal Council when the vessel was handed over to the Royal Netherlands Navy in 1946. Kalgoorlie was launched at Whyalla, South Australia, on 7th August, 1941, and commissioned on 7th April, 1942. From the date of her commission to the cessation of hostilities in August, 1945, the vessel was actively engaged in mine sweeping and convoy work in the vicinity of Australia, New Guinea and the Philippine Islands. She steamed a total distance of 131,607 miles in the defence of Australia.
Presented to the Town of Kalgoorlie by the COMMONWEALTH GOVERNMENT.