Internment Camp Memorial ShrinePrint Page
Memorial commemorates Italian internees at Harvey No. 11 Camp during World War Two. The Internment Camp shrine is now listed as a National Trust Monument. It forms part of the Harvey Tourist Precinct, which has become a first class tourist attraction and includes a replica of Stirling's Cottage which was opened to the public in 1994
The memorial is a small roadside shrine constructed of local field sandstone and selected granite pieces featuring a niche and containing a crucifix and plaque inscribed in Italian. The inscriptions and other symbols commemorate the Italian internees at the Harvey No. 11 Camp, the 20th anniversary of Fascism and the Christian Faith. Harvey No 11 Camp was established in September 1940 and operated until April 1942. Italian internees from Harvey were transferred to larger prisoner of war camps at Loveday in South Australia. The Harvey Camp was established primarily for the detention of civilian aliens but was conducted as a military prisoner of war establishment.
|Address:||South Western Highway, Harvey Tourist Precinct, Harvey, 6220|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.076117|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1940|