Volunteer Defence Corps Brookton Unit Honour RollPrint Page
Honour roll commemorates members of the Volunteer Defence Force who served during World War Two from 1941 to 1945
The Voluntary Defence Corps (VDC) was formed by the RSL as a home defence organisation in July 1940. It was to be composed of ex-servicemen and was modelled on the British Home Guard. It was later taken over as a corps of the Citizen Military Forces (CMF) and incorporated into the National Security Act. The primary role of the VDC gradually moved from providing static defence to operating coast defences, searchlights and anti-aircraft batteries in emergencies. After the threat of invasion was over, members of the inland units were freed from their regular parade attendance responsibilities to concentrate on rural production. The VDC was officially disbanded in August 1945.
Monument characteristics :
A polished timber board with inlaid brass and metal lettering
|Address:||White & Whittington Streets, Brookton Lesser Hall, Brookton, 6306|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.368633|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Honour Roll|
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1941|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1945|