St Mary`s Women`s Memorial Playing FieldsPrint Page
The playing fields were established as a memorial to the work of servicewomen of World War Two. The memorial gates were added to the park in 1977.
In 1953 May Mills met with a group of women concerned about the shrinking sporting facilities in the area. They led a small deputation to the Premier, Thomas Playford and as a result the Government purchased 18 acres of the newly subdivided Ragless Estate from the S.A. Housing Trust. This, with a further two acres let at a later date, was leased to the newly formed South Australian Women`s Amateur Sports council at a peppercorn rental for 21 years.
They decided to record their appreciation of the work of women in World War Two, a suitable tribute for a sporting complex to be used by women and girls of future generations.
Vision and initiative animated the launching of an appeal last week by the Lord Mayor (Mr. Philps) for £25,000 for the development of the Women's Memorial Playing Fields on South road, at the foot of Shephard's Hill. Less than 18 months ago, a small group of women representing women's amateur sport and other community interests affecting the welfare of women and girls, met to discuss the need for coordinated action.
With the approval of the RSL, the RSL Women's Services sub-branch, Ex Servicewomen's Club, War Widows' Guild and the NCW. who agreed that nothing was more fitting than a living and practical memorial which wouid benefit women and girls of future generations, It was decided the centre should be a public memorial to the work of servicewomen of the last war.
Chronicle (Adelaide, SA), 18 November 1954.
|Address:||Shepherds Hill Road, St Marys, 5042|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.013913|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1953|
SOUTH AUSTRALIAN WOMEN'S MEMORIAL PLAYING FIELDS