Spalding & District War Memorial Print Page
The Spalding and District War Memorial was erected in memory of those who served in World War Two. The memorial consists of a building and recreation complex which consists of the Memorial Bowling Club on one side of the building and a Memorial Playground on the other. The entrance to the complex is by the Memorial Gates which contain the names of those who fell in World War Two.
The First World War Memorial was relocated to the complex in 1958.
On Saturday, June 26, a record crowd attended to see the laying of the Foundation Stone of the Spalding and District War Memorial, when the S.A. Caledonian Pipe Band provided appropriate music. The Chairman of Spalding District Council (Cr. Trengove) introduced the Chairman of the Memorial Committee (Cr. G. R. Neill) to a very large attendance, and asked him to lay the Foundation stone.
The Ceremony was carried out at 4 p.m. by the Chairman (Councillor G. R. Neill) who said : On the Pillars at the gates are the names of the eleven personnel who made the supreme sacrifice. Their names are placed on those plaques so that they will be ever remembered — For they shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old — and we do not forget the Mothers, Fathers, Sisters and Brothers and relatives who served locally for the men and women of World War II who offered their lives and their services. This building and gates is dedicated to them. In planning this Memorial the committee and the people of the Town and District have endeavoured to erect some thing that would be a place for pleasure for men of the service and to the children also.
I would like to mention a fact regarding the Memorial Gates, and that is the wonderful patriotic effort by the Spalding Basket ball girls who raised most of the money for their purchase — truly a wonderful effort on their behalf.
Northern Argus (Clare, SA), 30 June 1954.
|Address:||Main Street, Spalding, 5454|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.499698|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Monument Designer:||Mr. E. W. Buckley (Adelaide-architect)|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Mr Harris ( contractor)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 26th June, 1954|
Spalding & District War Memorial
This stone was laid by G. R. Neill, Esq.,
President of the Spalding and District War Memorial Committee
26th June 1954.
1939 - 1945
[ Names ]
1939 - 1945
[ Names ]