Milang Memorial GatesPrint Page
The gates were erected by the residents of Milang & District to commemorate those who died ins ervice or were killed in action in World War Two.
His Excellency the Governor of South Australia (Sir Willoughby Norrie), accompanied by Lady Norrie, Miss Darley and Captain Trasenster (A.D.C.) visited Milang on Sunday afternoon for the purpose of opening the handsome newly erected memorial gates at the entrance to the Soldiers' Park, opposite the Institute. The Rev. Canon M. C. W. Gooden (a former rector of the parish) conducted the service of remembrance, and performed the office of dedication of the gates.
After the dedication His Excellency addressed the gathering, saying they were gathered together that afternoon to honor and commemorate the human endeavour of those who lived in the Milang district and gave their lives in the recent war. His Excellency said that in Milang and district, youth showed a great example and put service first. Over 83 enlisted and ten paid the supreme sacrifice. His Excellency left the platform and cut the ribbons between two flags which covered the gates and plaques. He then walked to the monument, where he stood for a few moments.
Southern Argus (Port Elliot), 18th November 1948.
|Address:||Coxe Street, Milang Soldiers Memorial Gardens, Milang, 5256|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.407374|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 14th November, 1948|
Dedicated to the memory of the men who gave their all for King and Empire in World War II
1939 - 1945.
Erected by residents of Milang and District.
These gates were opened on Sunday Nov. 14th 1949 by His Excellency, the Governor of S.A. Lt. Gen. Sir Willoughby Norrie K.C.M.G., C.B., D.S.O.
Lest We Forget
[ Names ]
They shall not grow old