Methodist Church War MemorialPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin

Two stained glass windows commemorate those who served in World War Two.  They were unveiled in 1946,  - the year of the Tod Street Methodist Church centenary.

His Excellency the Governor (Sir Willoughby Norrie) and Lady Norrie, accompanied by Miss Rosemary Norrie, attended the centenary celebrations of the Tod Street Methodist Church in Gawler on Sunday to unveil the memorial windows and honor roll to members of the services. They were met by the minister (Rev. E. Tregilgas) and the president of the Methodist Conference (Rev. R. H. Davidson).

The Governor said that he had come into contact with Australian servicemen in both the 1914-18 war and the recent war, and he knew of no better soldiers. On the memorial windows are the names of the 74 servicemen and women who enlisted from the Tod Street church and Sunday school.
Chronicle (Adelaide), 18 April 1946.


Address:Tod Street, Uniting Church, Gawler, 5118
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.599047
Long: 138.746106
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Window
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event STart Date:03-September-1939
Actual Event End Date:15-August-1945


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 14th April, 1946
Left Side Inscription


[ Names ]

To the glory of God and in loving memory of, and as a tribute to the men and women of this church and Sunday School who served in World War II

Right Side Inscription

The  Brave 

[ Names ]

Unveiled by His Excellency the Governor Sir Willoughby Norrie K.C.M.G., C.B., D.S.O., M.C.

April 14th 1946

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design