Katyn MemorialPrint Page
Monument to the victims of Katyn Massacre during World War Two.
Katyn Forest is a wooded area near Gneizdovo village, a short distance from Smolensk in Russia where, in 1940 on Stalin`s orders, the People's Commissariat for Internal Affairs (NKVD), the Soviet secret police shot and buried over 4000 Polish service personnel that had been taken prisoner. The government of Nazi Germany announced the discovery of mass graves in the Katyn Forest in 1943. When the London-based Polish government-in-exile asked for an investigation by the International Red Cross, Stalin immediately severed diplomatic relations with it. The Soviet Union claimed the victims had been murdered by the Nazis, and continued to deny responsibility for the massacres until 1990, when it officially acknowledged and condemned the perpetration of the killings by the NKVD, as well as the subsequent cover-up by the Soviet government.
|Address:||232 Angus Street, Dom Polski Centre, Adelaide , 5000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.929568|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Monument Designer:||Stan Ostoja Kotkowski|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 17th September, 1977|