Calder Woodburn Memorial AvenuePrint Page
The Calder Woodburn Memorial Avenue was planted between 1945 and 1949 by Mr J.L.F. (Fen) Woodburn as a living memorial to his son Calder who lost his life while serving abroad with the Royal Australian Air Force.
In late 1943 Fen Woodburn offered to plant two rows of trees for a distance of 9.5 kilometres along the Goulburn Valley Highway as a memorial to his son. Starting in 1945, by August 1947 Fen Woodburn had planted all the 1406 trees to complete his original vision. In 1948 he extended by a further 638 trees.
In its final form the avenue was extended, in four rows, as far as the Murchison–Violet Town Road in 1949 making a total of 2,457 trees. Woodburn wanted the Avenue to be a memorial to all local servicemen who did not return from the Second World War.
Memorial name plates were fixed to 110 of the trees, the trees selected being at the nearest point to the servicemen’s homes. The Avenue is the grandest and largest of the Second World War commemorative planting in Victoria and is important for its use of only Eucalyptus species
|Address:||Karramomus Road, Goulburn Valley Highway, Shepparton, 3630|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.454439|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Avenue of Honour|
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 7th May, 1995|
Calder Woodburn Memorial Avenue
1939 - 1945
This memorial is dedicated to district men and women who lost their lives during World War Two and to all those who served
In 1942 Calder Woodburn was killed in action while serving with the RAAF in England. His father, Mr. J. L. F. Woodburn, farmer of Arcadia, planted the trees of this avenue between the years of 1945 to 1949 to create a living memorial to his son and in remembrance of district servicemen