H.M.A.S. GoorangaiPrint Page
A monument unveiled on the 65th Anniversary of the sinking of the Goorangai and dedicated to the memory of those past, present and future mine warfare personnel.
In November 1940, minesweeper trawler HMAS Goorangai a unit of the then Mine Warfare Group 54, with five Officers and 19 rating Reserves, under the command of LCDR. G.N.Boyle, steamed to Queenscliff from Williamstown, loaded vegetables, then expecting rough weather, headed across the bay towards Portsea after dark whilst showing minimum lights. When midway between Queenscliff and the quarantine station she was struck forward of the funnel on the port side by the outward bound troop ship Duntroon on its way to Sydney.
With both ships almost totally blacked out, and wartime security preventing the Duntroon from heaving to for any length of time or switching on searchlights to look for survivors, the crew of Goorangai, which was cut in two, had little chance. This ship was the first Naval casualty for the Australian Navy during World War Two, with the loss of all hands.The minesweeper stuck hard and fast on the seabed in about eight fathoms of water with only the tops of her masts visible. Despite an extensive search, only six bodies were recovered before the wreck was demolished by explosives on January 21, 1941.
|Address:||Hesse Street, Ocean View Carpark - Lookout, Queenscliff, 3225|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.273734|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||20-November-1940|
|Actual Event End Date:||20-November-1940|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 20th November, 2005|