Nurses Memorial Centre Print Page Print this page

Nurses Memorial : 14-September-2011
Nurses Memorial : 14-September-2011

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

The Nurses Memorial Centre at 431 St Kilda Road was purchased as a war memorial in memory of nurses who lost their lives during World War Two.  Outside the building is a memorial cenotaph with a bronze bust of a nurse in uniform and a plaque.

Originally a private home, the property has been redeveloped and it is now known as Fawkner Towers. The Memorial Centre occupies part of the building.  

The Melbourne Nurses Memorial Centre, at 431 St. Kilda Road, is a memorial to the Australian Nurses who died during the Second World War. It was established following a public appeal in 1946, initiated by Victorian nurses who had returned from the war, especially Betty Jeffrey and Vivian Bullwinkel. Over the next two years, they collected £78,000  and the Nurses Memorial Centre opened on 14 May 1949. Jeffrey became the centre's administrator, but continuing ill-health forced her to retire in 1954. 


Address:431 St Kilda Road, Nursing Memorial Centre, Melbourne, 3000
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.838438
Long: 144.976749
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event STart Date:03-September-1939
Actual Event End Date:15-August-1945


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 14th May, 1949
Front Inscription

To Remember Those Nurses Who Gave
Their Lives For Their Country And
Those Who Served In The Armed Forces
During The Second World War 1939-45.

May They Kindle In Your Hearts A Torch Whose Flame Shall Be Eternal

Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design