www.monumentaustralia.org.au

No. 1 Flying Boat Repair DepotPrint Page Print this page

09-October-2013
09-October-2013

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders / Sandra Brown

Memorial commemorates the servicemen and women who served at the No. 1 Flying Boat Repair Depot during World War Two. The memorial is an original two ton anchor block used to secure a mooring buoy for the flying boats.  The concrete slab is the base of the control tower which was located at this site.

Lake Boga Flying Boat Base was a Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) flying boat base at Lake Boga, Victoria, Australia during World War Two.

When the Imperial Japanese attacked Darwin and Broome in 1942 resulting in the loss of 16 flying boats, the establishment of a safe haven for flying boats was required inland as a remote facility outside the sphere of Japanese airplanes. Lake Boga was picked as it allowed almost unlimited choice of landing/take off directions and was free of obstructions. It was also close to nearby infrastructure.

Required for Australian, Royal Netherlands East Indies Air Force and United States flying boat servicing and repairs, Lake Boga was commissioned in June 1942. No. 1 Flying Boat Repair and Service Depot was set up to provide the repair and servicing requirements.

Location

Address:Foreshore, Off Murray Valley Highway, Lake Boga, 3584
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.451308
Long: 143.628439
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW2
Actual Event STart Date:02-July-1942
Actual Event End Date:12-November-1947

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 1st October, 1978
Front Inscription

This memorial was erected by the Shire of Swan Hill in remembrance of the RAAF and WAAAF personnel who served on this site at No. 1 Flying Boat Repair Depot during and after World War II from the 2nd July 1942 to the 12th November 1947.

The memorial was unveiled by Group Captain M. K. Lyons A.F.C. Officer Commanding No 92 Wing RAAF Base Edinburgh on the 1st October 1978 on the occasion of the first national reunion of flying boat personnel arranged by the Catalina National Committee.

Right Side Inscription

Shire of Swan Hill

The memorial is an original two ton anchor block used to secure a mooring buoy for the flying boats.  The Concrete slab is the base of the control tower which was located at this site.

 

Source: MA,RSLV, VWHI
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design