Catalina MemorialPrint Page
The Catalina Memorial is dedicated to all R.A.A.F. personnel who served on the flying boats at Rathmines.
RAAF Base Rathmines became the largest Flying Boat Base in Australia where Conversion Training for Air Crews destined to man the Flying Boat and Seaplane Squadrons was carried out. An essential facet of a Flying Boat Squadron was the Marine Section and Rathmines was where their training- was done In 1936 the Director of Staff Duties at RAAF H.Q. Melbourne instructed WGCDR L.V. Lachal to investigate and recommend a site for a flying boat base in the Newcastle region. Finally the area known locally as Rathmines, on Lake Macquarie was recommended.
|Address:||Stilling Street, Catalina Park, Rathmines, 2283|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.041179|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 16th September, 1972|
Dedicated To Those Who Served
At The R.A.A.F. Rathmines
And To All Associated
With Flying Boats and Seaplanes
1939 – 1960
Air Vice Marshall W. E. Townsend G.B. C.B.E.
16th Sept., 1972.
R.A.A. F. Rathmines
Constructed on the base commenced in 1940, although personnel start arriving late in 1939, living in tin huts and tents. By mid 1942 many the 240 buildings had been completed.
Aeroplanes such as the DORNIER, SEAGULL, WALRUS, KINGFISHER, SUNDERLAND and the wonderful CATALINA, flew out of Rathmines.
At the peak of the base's activities, 2000 Airmen and 1000 WAAF were on duty.
This area where the Memorial stands was the site of the Commanding Officer`s Residence and Control Tower.
This memorial was built in
1972 and is dedicated to all
those R.A.A.F. personnel
who served on flying boats