Tiger Moth MemorialPrint Page
A Tiger Moth aeroplane commemorates the No 8. Elementary Flying School and the World War Two trainee pilots who received instruction in Narrandera.
In August 1940, an air school was established at Narrandera on the site of the present airport by the Royal Australian Air Force. The school was the No. 8 Elementary Flying Training School, where over the next five years during the World War Two, 3,818 student pilots commenced their elementary flying training on DH82 Tiger Moth Aircraft.
The Tiger Moth became the standard trainer of the RAF and Commonwealth countries during World War Two. In Australia’s RAAF, some 861 DH 82A’s were in service between 1940 and 1957, when the last was retired. The Tiger moth equipped the twelve Elementary Flying Training Schools (EFTS), and flew with 62 other RAAF units in activities ranging from air ambulance, air-sea rescue, air observation posts, and for armament, gunnery, navigation and parachute training.
|Address:||Newell Highway, Narrandera Park, Narrandera, 2700|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.745133|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 2nd October, 1988|
THE NARRANDERA NO8
ELEMENTARY FLYING TRAINING SCHOOL
TIGER MOTH MEMORIAL
1940 - 1945