Prince Henry Hospital RAAF Memorial ClockPrint Page
Prince Henry Hospital Air Force RAAF Memorial Clock was dedicated to the memory of two air force officers, Flying Officer Norman F Dwyer and his cousin Wing Commander Stanley G Stilling, DFC. who were killed in action during the Second World War. Mr W Dwyer, father of Norman, was at one time a manager of the hospital.
The clock was brought to Australia for the Sydney Exhibition of 1879. A disastrous fire destroyed the Exhibition however the clock was salvaged, unharmed and intact. After a brief time in Sydney’s Botanic Gardens it was sent to Bourke for use as the town's clock. Eventually it made its way back to Sydney and was kept in government stores until it was decided that it would be a suitable addition to The Coast Hospital.
In 1898 the clock was mounted in an ’artistic‘ tower built by Henry Tucker Jones. The tower was demolished in 1930 as The Coast Hospital began to undergo a major transformation. The clock was stored at the hospital until 1953 when it was later installed in an elegant three storey high, square, brick tower complete with a copper roof and wind vane. Located in full view of the hospital gates and adjacent to Ward 1 (now The Flowers Ward), is where it still stands today.
A Coast Chronicle – The History of the Prince Henry Hospital, CR Boughton.
Author − Jane Bannister.
|Address:||Pine Avenue, Prince Henry Hospital Conservation Area, Little Bay, 2036|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.980366|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1953|