Jerilderie War Memorial BuildingPrint Page
Jerilderie War Memorial Building was erected in memory of those from the district who died in service or were killed in action during World War Two.
The fruit of many years labour by Jerilderie and district residents was harvested last Saturday, when the State Governor, Sir John Northcott, K.C.M.G., K.C.V.O., C.B., turned the key in the door of Jerilderie's Memorial Building, erected as a Memorial to the fallen of the 1939-45 World War. The Shire President and Chairman of the Jerilderie War Memorial Committee, Councillor A. F. Crockett, in introducing His Excellency, told how in June 1946 at a Public Meeting, called for the purpose of discussing and deciding on the type of Memorial that should be built in honour of Jerilderie and District Fallen of the last World War, had formed the War Memorial Committee and instructed that Committee to proceed with plans to raise finance and build a Memorial. The Building he was about to ask His Excellency to officially open was the culmination of that meeting, a building built to the design prepared by Messrs Carleton & Henderson, Architects of Melbourne by a local contractor, Mr. George Cowhan, was a building the community could feel proud of. He presented His Excellency with a Gold Key, the gift of the Architects, of the door to the Memorial Building and invited him to perform the Opening Ceremony. His Excellency then turned the key in the Memorial Building Door and declared the Memorial Open. He then moved into the building and unveiled the Honour Roll which is situated in the vestibule facing the double glass doors at the front of the building.
Jerilderie Herald and Urana Advertiser (NSW), 28 October 1954.
|Address:||Jerilderie & Powell Streets, Jerilderie, 2716|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.355294|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Messrs Carleton & Henderson (architects)|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Mr George Cowhan (contractor)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 23rd October, 1954|