Charlestown Roll of HonourPrint Page
Charlestown Roll of Honour commemorates those from the district who served in World War Two. The roll was originally in the community hall, located on the corner of Smart Street and Pacific Highway, which has now been demolished.
Bearing the names of 123 service personnel who enlisted from Charlestown, including six who died on service, an honour roll was unveiled at Charlestown Institute by Mr. G. Booth, M.L.A. Also on the roll was the name of Mr. A. G. Avery, who won the D.F.C. while an officer of the R.A.A.F. The roll was erected by the citizens of Charlestown. It was draped by British and Australian flags, which were donated by Mr. and Mrs. S. Paterson and family, Mr. R. Whitehead, and the Pickering family. During the ceremony the "Last Post," was sounded by Mr. J. Neeven, after which a dedicatory prayer was offered by Rev. W. Thompson. The unveiling concluded with the sounding of "Reveille."
Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate (NSW),
19 August 1947.
|Address:||Ridley & Pearson Streets, Charlestown Square Community Centre , Charlestown, 2290|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.962219|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Honour Roll|
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||August-1947|