Sydney University War Memorial ArchPrint Page
Sydney University War Memorial Arch is the official War Memorial to University personnel who died between September 1939 and September 1945 and is the work of two of the University`s Professors of Architecture.
It contains rolls of honour, recording the university personnel who died in service or were killed in action during World War Two.
In August 1953 Professors Leslie Wilkinson and H Ingham Ashworth were appointed architects for the Memorial Great Gate and Gallery of Fine Arts, funds for which had been subscribed to the Centenary Appeal. At a late stage in planning the design was amended to provide a double carriageway through the arch. Building work began in 1956 and was completed in 1958.
The Roll of Honour was also designed by Wilkinson and Ashworth and manufactured by Wunderlich Ltd. The Gallery's Inaugural Exhibition was held in March-April 1959.
|Address:||Science Road, University of Sydney, Camperdown, 2050|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.885342|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Monument Designer:||Wilkinson & Ashworth|