St Augustine's Anglican Church World War Two MemorialPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
St Augustine's Anglican Church World War Two Memorial is a set of three stained glass windows erected in memory of those from the parish who died in service or were killed in action during World War Two. 

Two of the panels were erected by the parishioners; one as a thankoffering for victory and those who served in World War Two, the other in memory of those who lost their lives. The third panel is a private memorial. Below the window is a private memorial plaque erected in memory of Colin Mardsden who lost his life in the conflict. 

Three memorial stained-glass windows will be unveiled at St. Augustine's Church of England, Merewether, at a special service on Sunday night. The windows, which depict the Crucifixion and men and women of the three Services, will be unveiled by Archdeacon Woodd in the absence of the Bishop of Newcastle (Rt. Rev. F. de Witt Batty). Two of the windows were presented to the church by parishioners of St. Augustine's and the other by Mr. and Mrs. Anderson, of Glebe-road, Merewether, who lost a son in the war. The windows will be a memorial to men of the Merewether parish who lost their lives in the war.
Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate (NSW), 
18 December 1947.


Address:Llewellyn & Winsor Streets, St Augustine`s Anglican Church, Merewether, 2291
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.941579
Long: 151.750793
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Window
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event STart Date:03-September-1939
Actual Event End Date:15-August-1945
Monument Designer:John Ashwin & Co.(Sydney)


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 21st December, 1947
Front Inscription
Panel 2

To the Glory of God and in memory of
those who lost their lives in World War II
(1939 - 1945). Erected by the Parishioners. 
                                        John Ashwin & Co. Syd

Panel 3

A thankoffering for Victory. for the Safety of
Australia. and for the Return of those who
served in World War II Erected by the Parishioners
                                    John Ashwin & Co. Syd

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design