www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Radar Station No. 14Print Page Print this page

A plaque commemorates those who served in the Royal Australian Air Force (R.A.A.F.) Radar Station No. 14 during World War Two.

The fourth military installation located on Wilsons Promontory during World War Two was the most secret of all its military facilities. No 14 Radar Station was located on Commonwealth property at South-east Point, tight up against the Lighthouse on its seaward side. The former operations concrete blockhouse now serves as an observation area for viewing Bass Strait. This facility, built in the early war years, housed state-of-the-art radar equipment under RAAF operation. Mounted atop this structure was a large rotating array or aerial measuring 15 by 18 feet. No 14 Radar Station was one of a set protecting the sea lanes along the southern coastline to the Port of Melbourne. Others were at Cape Otway, Metung and Gabo Island. 

Location

Address:Wilson`s Promontory Lighthouse, Tidal River, 3960
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -39.128925
Long: 146.424443
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW2
Actual Event STart Date:03-September-1939
Actual Event End Date:15-August-1945

Dedication

Front Inscription

This Plaque Is Dedicated
To Those Who Served On
RAAF Radar Sta­tion No 14
During World War 2

The Station Was Operated
Within This Building

The Plaque Was Provided By
Victorian RAAF Radar Association

Source: MA,VMR,SKP,VWHI
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design