Women`s Auxiliary Australian Air Force Print Page
A plaque commemorates those who served with the Women`s Auxiliary Australian Air Force between 1941 and 1947.
|Address:||300 Waterdale Road, Repatriation Hospital, Remembrance Garden, Heidelberg, 3081|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.755725|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
The formation of the Women’s Auxillary Australian Air force in 1941, the first women’s service, changed the role of women in wartime. No longer restricted to voluntary support and nursing roles, the 27000 women who served in the WAAAF were constituted as a branch of Australia’s permanent air force. Working in 72 of the 120 RAAF trades, with officers and airwomen involved in intelligence and chemical warfare research, WAAAF also carried out duties in Papua New Guinea and the Soloman Islands despite the official ruling that they be sent no further than Cairns.
The contribution of the WAAAF to the war effort , the efficient service and high morale which was its trademark, and the success of these airwomen in a previously all-male field, make up a spirited message to women today - especially those entering the forces .
For its female members also, the airforce motto was a fitting one - Per Ardua Ad Astra - Through adversity to the stars.