"The Girl With Grit" Print Page
"The Girl With Grit" commemorates the services given to the nation, the region and the town of Griffith, New South Wales, by the Australian Women's Land Army in a time of special need during World War Two.
The Australian Women’s Land Army (AWLA) was formed during the Second World War to combat rising labour shortages in the farming sector. From December 1941, when Japan entered the war, the nation’s need to build up its armed forces was placed above the needs of other industries. Agricultural labour was steadily diverted to the armed services and war industry.
To meet the shortfall in rural labour, State and private women’s land organisations were organised, modelled on those established in Great Britain during the First and Second World Wars. A national body was formed on 27 July 1942 under the jurisdiction of the Director General of Manpower. While policy was devised by the Commonwealth Government, the organisation of the AWLA remained State-based. An extensive recruiting campaign was undertaken for new members.
|Address:||167-185 Banna Avenue, Griffith War Memorial Museum, Griffith, 2680|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.288107|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1942|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1945|
|Monument Designer:||Noel Hicks (sculptor & designer)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 11th July, 2015|
This memorial was unveiled on 11 July 2015 by veterans of the AWLA ; Kathleen Savage, Gladys Burgess, Gwen Chilvers, Margaret French, Ursula Garner, June Gulloni, Dorothy Hales, Margaret Johnston, Lola Smellie, Esme Wirth.
Sculptor Noel Hicks
The erection of this monument was made possible by the support of
The Griffith Ex-Servicemen`s Club,
G. B. Sports & Lifestyle,
Stuart and Margaret McWilliam,
Griffith City Council,
Namoi Valley Bricks Pty. Ltd,
Dr John Binks,
C & W Polkinghorne,
Griffith Bricks & Pavers,
Griffith War Memorial Museum with the help in kind from other community members.