Gundy Honour Roll Print Page Print this page

Gundy Honour Roll commemorates those from the district who served in World War Two. 

In the presence of a large attendance of district residents and visitors, a Roll of Honor commemorating the names of those who enlisted from Gundy and district for service in the armed forces during World War II, was formally unveiled in the Gundy Soldiers Memorial Hall, on Saturday afternoon last. Of similar design to an existing Honor Roll which bears the names of local Servicemen who fought in the Great War of 1914/ 1918, the new Roll, which is of polished Queensland maple, carries three inset panels, upon which are inscribed, in gold lettering, the names of those whose military service it commemorates. The two Honor Rolls — the old and the new— share pride of place on the front wall of the auditorium, one on each side of the stage.

The Chairman of the Gundy Soldiers' Welcome Association, Mr. W. C. Green, the body which sponsored the erection of the new Honor Roll, spoke briefly of the genesis and functions of the Association which, he explained was formed during the Great War, and later revived when World War II called upon the community for further effort and self-sacrifice. After alluding to the public farewell to local soldiers and to the memorable occasion when they were accorded a public welcome upon their return, the Chairman went on to say that the Association had then resolved upon the erection of the Honor Roll which was about to be unveiled. He also pointed out that the Great War Honor Roll, which was originally erected by members of the Gundy branch of the Red Cross Society, had been, through the instrumentality of the Association, completely renovated. 
The Scone Advocate (NSW), 24 November 1950. 


Address:10 Mayne Street, Gundy Memorial Hall , Gundy, 2337
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.014436
Long: 150.998473
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Honour Roll
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event STart Date:03-September-1939
Actual Event End Date:15-August-1945


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 18th November, 1950
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design