No 10 Squadron Print Page
Plaque commemorates those who served with No 10 Squadron during World War Two.
The squadron was formed in 1939 and saw active service during the Second World War, conducting anti-submarine operations and patrols from bases in the United Kingdom until it disbanded in late 1945. It was re-formed in Australia in 1949.
|Address:||Federal Highway, RAAF Memorial Grove, Majura, 2609|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.211571|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
NO.10 SQUADRON RAAF 1939-45
This commemorative plaque recognises the contribution, during World War Two, of all No.10 Squadron members. A total of 151 members gave their lives during the conflict, including F/Sgt. Charles Harris and F/ Lt. John Bell on 18 June 1940 —the first Australian airmen killed in action in World War Two, during a covert humanitarian rescue operation over France, flying a Walrus amphibian aircraft. No.10 Squadron served as an exclusive RAAF squadron unit flying Sunderland aircraft, attached to 19 Group RAF Coastal Command from 1939 - 45 and operating from Mt. Batten, Plymouth Sound, Devon, United Kingdom. The Squadron engaged in anti-submarine warfare for the protection of Allied shipping over the Western approaches of the Atlantic Ocean to the British Isles, the Bay of Biscay and Spanish waters, mounting 3,239 operational sorties. These sorties encompassed 42,951 flying hours and led to the sinking of enemy submarines.
LEST WE FORGET