Commemorative Avenue of TreesPrint Page
One of the loveliest inspirations of this town's tree lovers is the living memorial of Jacarandas which will commemorate, as long as trees continue to, live on this earth, the sacrifices of Wee Waa's men and women who served in World War II. This memorial is planted in the form of a long cross. The long side extends along Rowe (sic) Street, the town's main street, where many Jacarandas have been planted. At the apex of the cross stands a brick tower and, from this point, the arms of the cross extend north and south along Church Street, an even number on either side. Mr. C. J. Dwyer who regards himself as officer-in charge of this planting, stated that seen from the air, the trees formed a perfect cross of green. "The Jacarandas were planted in 1947," he added. "All were well advanced trees.
The Land (Sydney), 26 March 1954.
|Address:||Rose Street, Wee Waa, 2388|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -30.225305|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Avenue of Honour|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Tuesday 11th November, 1947|
(Plaque in shelter in Rose Street)
COMMEMORATIVE AVENUE OF TREES
Dedicated 0n 11-11-1947
The Wee Waa District Soldiers, Sailors and Air Force Farewell and Welfare Committee
Established May 1940 Disbanded November 1947
President Mr. Clarrie J.Dwyer initiated and carried out the planting of 73 Jacaranda trees in the three western blocks of Rose, Geoge and Church Streets to form a cross as a memorial to those who served in World War 11. Memorial was funded at a cost of £110.50.0. from surplus funds available at the disbanding of the committee and the expiration of the repatriation scheme that it administered. Funds were raised locally through race meetings, carnivals, dances, flower shows, street stalls and donations. During the War Years, 2,200 parcels were packed by the committee and sent to the front line to soldiers from Wee Waa and District. They were awarded the Repatriation and Rehabilitation Grants for goods to the value of £12.10.0.
War Memorial Clock Tower
Dedicated on 7-9-1938
Memorial to the Great War 1914-18
Builder: W.T.Weaven Architect: R.Richardson
Opened by : Hon. Colin A. Sinclair M.L.A.
The Clock Tower is located at Rose and Church Street and was constructed by local handmade bricks sourced from red clay in the Yarrie Creek area.