The AirmanPrint Page
A wooden scultpure of an airman commemorates the Allied aircrew, ground support and ancillary staff of the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF), Royal Air Force (RAF) and the Netherlands East Indies Air Force (NEIAF) who operated from the Moruya Airfield during World War Two.
The sculpture is carved from life and is of Captain Gus Winckel, one of the Netherlands East Indies Air Force pilots who flew out of Moruya although his main base was Canberra. He moved to New Zealand after the end of World War Two and came back to Moruya to enable the statue to be carved and attend the dedication.
The Air Raid Tavern was evidently the favourite recreation place of RAAF and NEIAF personnel during the war.
|Address:||73 Vulcan Street, Air Raid Tavern Centre, Moruya, 2537|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.911064|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Bryan Carrick|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Tuesday 9th June, 2009|
This statue of a World War II airman was commissioned
by Moruya Rotary Club to commemorate and acknowledge
the service of alled aircrew, ground support and ancillary
staff, who operated from Moruya Airfiled during the
war years. These tasks were anti-submarine warfare,
reconnaissance, coastal shipping protection and rescue.
Along this section of coast many ships and personnel
were lost at sea from submarine attack.
The aircrew were drawn from Australian, British and Dutch
Air Forces. Three composite Australian-Netherlands
East Indies squadrons operated from Moruya.
The carving was created by artist Bryan Carrick, whose
other works are a prominent feature of Moruya Township.
This statue was unveiled on Saturday 6th June 2009 by
The Hon Dr Mike Kelly AM MP,
Federal Member of Parliament for Eden-Monaro
Michael Gold, President, Rotary Club of Moruya 2008 - 2009
This Statue Is Modelled On And Is
A Tribute To A Dedicated Airman
CAPTAIN GUS WINCKEL BL DSO DFC
Netherlands East Indies Air Force
Moruya Airfield OBL
1941 - 1945