65th Anniversary of the Women`s ServicePrint Page
During 1941, it became apparent that women would need to be employed in the armed services so that servicemen in non-combatant roles could be released to combat units. Brightly coloured recruitment posters encouraged young women to join up and more than 66,000 of them enlisted in the three services – just under 7% of the nearly 1 million Australians who served.
Thousands of young Australian women left home to join the new women’s auxiliary services: the Women’s Auxiliary Australian Air Force (WAAAF), the Women’s Royal Australian Naval Service (WRANS) and the Australian Women’s Army Service (AWAS). Newly qualified, as well as experienced, nursing sisters joined the two new nursing services: the Royal Australian Air Force Nursing Service (RAAFNS) and the Royal Australian Naval Nursing Service (RANNS) as well as the existing Australian Army Nursing Service (AANS). In December 1942, the Australian Army Medical Women’s Service (AAMWS) was established and members served as nursing aides alongside army nurses.
|Address:||Molesworth & Market Streets, Commemorative Park, Lismore, 2480|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -28.811283|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 24th June, 2006|
This Lone Pine Tree, Donated To The
`SUMMERLAND EX-SERVICE WOMEN`
By Brother Kevin Of Trinity College
To Commemorate The 65th Anniversary
Of The Formation Of The Women`s Service
In The Second World War
24th June, 2006