Australian Women`s Land Army Print Page
The Australian Women’s Land Army (AWLA) was formed during the Second World War to combat rising labour shortages in the farming sector. From December 1941, when Japan entered the war, the nation’s need to build up its armed forces was placed above the needs of other industries. Agricultural labour was steadily diverted to the armed services and war industry.
To meet the shortfall in rural labour, State and private women’s land organisations were organised, modelled on those established in Great Britain during the First and Second World Wars. A national body was formed on 27 July 1942 under the jurisdiction of the Director General of Manpower. While policy was devised by the Commonwealth Government, the organisation of the AWLA remained State-based. An extensive recruiting campaign was undertaken for new members. Most members of the existing land armies were later incorporated into the AWLA as well.
|Address:||Argyle Place & Lower Fort Street, The Garrison Church, Millers Point, 2000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.858434|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1942|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1945|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 29th August, 1982|
WOMEN`S LAND ARMY
TO THE GLORY OF GOD
IN COMMEMORATION OF THE FORMING OF
THE AUSTRALIAN WOMEN`S LAND ARMY
OF WORLD WAR 11
DEDICATED ON THE 29TH AUGUST 1982