Royal Australian Air Force MemorialPrint Page
The memorial commemorates the Royal Australian Air Force (R.A.A.F.) personnel who were stationed at the Tamworth Airfield during World War Two. The original Tamworth airport was located at this site.
In September 1940, the 6th Elementary Flying School was established at the aerodrome in this area now known as Taminda. The school had a compliment of 15 officers, 200 ground personnel and 48 trainee pilots who gained their flying instruction in Tiger Moths.
When World War Two ended, the total number of Australians serving in the RAAF was 154,511. 137,200 of whom were serving in the South – West Pacific theatre. The majority of these personnel were trained at Airfield Training Establishments like the one here in Tamworth and scattered throughout Australia.
During World War Two, some 6,200 RAAF personnel were killed in action and this memorial is dedicated to their memory. It was erected by the Tamworth Branch of the Air Force Association.
|Address:||Barnes & Belmore Streets, Taminda, 2340|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.089908|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
In Memory Of All
Stationed At Tamworth
Airfield During The
War 1939 - 45
The Tamworth Airforce