UQ Fitness and Aquatic Centre - The War Memorial Swimming Pool Print Page
UQ Fitness and Aquatic Centre - The War Memorial Swimming Pool is a new facility at the Gatton campus and replaces the original pool which was built after the end of World War Two.
The UQ Fitness and Aquatic Centre - The War Memorial Swimming Pool earned the name as it was initially built using funds that were raised during World War Two and it was named in honour of those staff and past students who gave their lives for their country.
Funded by the College Welfare Fund, which was initiated by the staff in 1944, the hole for the original pool was dug by students, staff and volunteers. The actual job of digging the pool was done by hands shovels, picks and tractor scoops and almost everybody on the campus helped out at some stage. It was completed in 1954, but the dressing sheds and grandstand weren't completed until 1959, bringing to an end a project that started thirteen years earlier. The pool was the venue for the college ANZAC services until 1992.
The staff, present pupils and old boys of Queensland Agricultural High School and College have agreed that the memorial to the 116 old boys who served and died in two world wars shall take the form of a swimming pool. The first sod for the pool was turned by Sir John Lavarack on Diploma Day, 6th December 1949 and officially opened by him in December 1954.
Queensland Country Life , 24th March 1949, 8th December 1949
|Address:||Gatton- Laidley Road , Gatton Campus, Gatton, 4343|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.55778|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Manufacturer:||McNab (builder)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Thursday 1st December, 2011|