Ekibin Memorial Park Print Page
A park commemorates the site of Ekibin Hospital during World War Two.
During the Second World War, Tarragindi was the site of a field hospital administered first by the American Army (for soldiers treated for shell shock) and later by the British and Australian forces. The Australian Army 102 Australian General Hospital (102 AGH) occupied the Ekibin Hospital at Ekibin . It was capable of looking after 2,000 patients with a staff of about 600 personnel.
According to Dunn (2001) the Ekibin Hospital was bounded by Sexton Street and Toohey Road and encompassed parts of Cracknell, Effingham, Fingal and Lutzow streets. After the war, the site was used by the Housing Commission to accommodate displaced persons. Today, little remains of the establishment except for possible foundations of a gun emplacement in the midsection of Fingal Street.
|Address:||Cracknell Road & Lutzow Street, Tarragindi , 4121|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.520809|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1965|
EKIBIN MEMORIAL PARK
From about Christmas 1941 this area was used by the American Army as a hospital for the shell shocked. Later during World War II the area was used by the British and Australian Armies. After the war the Queensland Housing Commission used the area for a home for the displaced persons.
The area now known as "Ekibin Memorial Park" was given to the Brisbane City council to hold in trust in September 1960 and was officially named in 1965.