Aleppo PinePrint Page
Allepo (Lone) Pine planted as a memorial to the Australian and New Zealand soldiers who fought at Gallipoli during World War One.
The original "Lone Pine" was a sole survivor of a group of trees that had been cut down by Turkish soldiers who had used the timber and branches to cover their trenches during the Battle of Lone Pine in 1915. The tree was obliterated during the battle; however, pine cones that had remained attached to the cut branches over the trenches were retrieved by two Australian soldiers and brought home to Australia.
Both Melbourne Legacy and the Yarralumla Nursery in Canberra have raised and grown seedlings over a number of years, sourced from the tree at the Shrine of Remembrance and the Australian War Memorial respectively, which they have presented to schools as well as ex-service and other organisations throughout Australia.
|Address:||Wrights Road, Wrights Road Reserve, Kellyville, 2155|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.714231|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||25-April-1915|
|Actual Event End Date:||09-January-1916|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 21st April, 2013|