Penrith Methodist Church Supplementary Honour RollPrint Page
The Honour Roll commemorates additional members of the congregation and district who served in World War One. The roll is a supplement to the honour roll which was unveiled in 1915.
Eleven additional names were added to the roll and unveiled by Alderman Judges on the 24th June 1917. Forty-seven names appear on the two honour rolls.
At the Methodist Church on Sunday evening last, Ald A Judges performed the ceremony of unveiling the Supplementary Roll of Honour, on which had been inscribed the additional names of 24 soldiers (adherents of the Methodist communion), who had enlisted for active service since the inauguration of the original Roll of Honour in the church. Ald Judges spoke in appropriate terms of the patriotic spirit of the 24 gallant young Australians who had so bravely offered their lives and services to the Empire, and who were prepared to make the most heroic sacrifices to attain victory for those sacred ideals of civilization and nationhood, which the Methodists, as their other compatriots, of all sections of the British people, held dear. Rev J Tarn preached a most impressive sermon. The Supplementary Roll of Honour is a nicely designed tablet of polished cedar, on which the names of 24 gallant soldiers of the Methodist congregation of Penrith and district are inscribed in gold block lettering, and the memorial occupies a specially noticeable position on the western wall of the church.
Nepean Times (Penrith, NSW), 18 March 1916.
|Address:||15 Evan Street, Penrith Uniting Church, Penrith, 2750|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.755148|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Honour Roll|
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 12th March, 1916|