www.monumentaustralia.org.au

St John`s Soldiers Hill Memorial HallPrint Page Print this page

St. John`s Soldiers Hill Memorial Hall : 23-March-2013
St. John`s Soldiers Hill Memorial Hall : 23-March-2013

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson

A hall commemorates those who died in service or were killed in action in World War One. The hall was dedicated on the 13th August 1917. 

The Memorial Parish Hall of the St. John's  Church of England, Soldiers Hill, was dedicated by the Bishop of Ballarat, Dr Maxwell-Cumbleton at a special service held last evening. The new hall which faces Lydiard Street, is a spacious building, built of brick, and capable of seating several hundred people. Branching off from the interior of the hall are a number of class-rooms. Altogether, the building cost £2000, of which sum £1000 is in hand, and £1600 has been promised. There was a large congregation, including many clergymen of the district, and a number of returned soldiers under Major Lazarus. The Bishop conducted the service, and was assisted by the Acting Vicar (the Rev. Andersen). The lessons were read by the Rev. O. F. Snell and Dean Lewis. After the recitation of the Creed and prayer, the Bishop dedicated the hall "to the glory of God for the instruction of the children of the church, as a home for the missionary and social activities of the parish, and in memory of the soldiers of St. John's Church who died in the great war." Prayers were offered for the parish of St. John's, for the teachers and children of the Sunday school, and for those in whose memory the hall was built, as well as for the soldiers of the Empire. 
Ballarat Star (Vic), 14 August 1917.

Location

Address:Lydiard Street, Soldiers Hill, Ballarat, 3550
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.547924
Long: 143.859978
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 24th March, 1917
Left Side Inscription
ST JOHN`S
SOLDIERS HILL
MEMORIAL HALL 

PARISH CHURCH AT REAR
IN ARMSTRONG ST. NTH
Right Side Inscription
To the Glory of God 
         And 
In Memory of 
The Soldiers Of This Parish 
Who Fell In The Great War.
This Stone Was Laid 
              By 
Maxwell Homfray, 
Lord Bishop Of Ballarat 
24th March 1917
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design