Aleppo PinePrint Page
Aleppo Pine planted in the Jubilee Year 1965 in memory of departed comrades who served in World War One.
In the Anzac Section of Gallipoli in 1915, there was a solitary stunted pine growing on a scrubby plateau. The tree was of a species indigenous to the Mediterranean known botanically as Pinus brutia but more popularly called Aleppo Pine. But this particular lone specimen was conspicuous and served to provide a name for the plateau, which thus became known as Lone Pine.
|Address:||Bega Street, Behind War Memorial, Tathra, 2550|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.729167|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1965|
ORIGINAL LONE PINE
GROWN IN THE JUBILEE YEAR 1965
PLANTED IN MEMORY OF
"LEST WE FORGET"