Methodist Soldiers MemorialPrint Page
The Methodist Soldiers Memorial is a porch which was added to the church to commemorate those who served in World War One.
On July 31 the Wilmington Methodist Church celebrated its 50th anniversary. As far back as 1873 Methodists were holding services in the dining room of Mr. Ormiston's "eating house" these services being conducted by the Rev. P.C. Thomas, from Melrose. Later they met in Mr. Barrett's carpenter shop. In 1876 permission to build was granted by the Wesleyan Northern District Synod, and in 1877 the first church in Wilmington was erected.
In 1889, largely through the instrumentality or the respective Sunday school superintendents of the Wesleyan and Bible Christian Churches, Messrs. A. Maslin and T.H.Harris, permission was granted for the two churches to unite. This was done prior to Methodist union. Last year a fine soldiers' memorial porch was erected, and the church renovated, at a cost of £338; and with the exception of £49 10/ this money was raised.
Chronicle (Adelaide), 13 August 1927.
|Address:||Second Street, Wilmington, 5485|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.652055|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1926|