www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Lone Pine MemorialPrint Page Print this page

Lone Pine Memorial : 19-May-2012
Lone Pine Memorial : 19-May-2012

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

The Wattle Park Lone Pine was planted in 1933 and was grown from the seed of the original Lone Pine. It was dedicated in 1953 by the 24th Battalion in memory of  fallen comrades who served in World War One. The Lone Pine was rededicated in 1995 in the presence of the 24th & 2/24th Associations and the ashes of Sir Frank Selleck 24th Battallion 1st A.I.F were consecrated.

The Lone Pine was the name given to a solitary tree on the Gallipoli Peninsula in Turkey, which marked the site of the Battle of Lone Pine in 1915 during World War One and it was the sole survivor of a group of trees that had been cut down by Turkish soldiers who had used the timber and branches to cover their trenches.

The tree was obliterated during the battle; however, pine cones that had remained attached to the cut branches over the trenches were retrieved by two Australian soldiers and brought home to Australia. Private Thomas Keith McDowell, a soldier of the 23rd battalion brought a pine cone from the battle site back to Australia, and many years later seeds from the cone were planted by his wife's aunt Emma Gray of Grassmere, near Warrnambool, Victoria and five seedlings emerged, with four surviving. These seedlings were planted in four different locations in Victoria: Wattle Park (May 8, 1933), the Shrine of Remembrance in Melbourne (June 11, 1933), the Soldiers Memorial Hall at The Sisters near Terang (June 18, 1933) and Warrnambool Botanic Gardens (January 23, 1934).

The Shrine of Remembrance's lone pine was felled in August 2012 and the timber used as part of a remembrance project, after a disease known as Diplodia pinea or blue stains fungus as it commonly called killed it.

Another soldier, Lance Corporal Benjamin Smith from the 3rd Battalion, also retrieved a cone and sent it back to his mother (Mrs McMullen) in Australia, who had lost another son at the battle. Seeds from the cone were planted by Mrs McMullen in 1928, from which two seedlings were raised. One was presented to her home town of Inverell (New South Wales) and the other was forwarded to Canberra where it was planted by Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester at the Australian War Memorial in October 1934.

Melbourne Legacy and the Yarralumla Nursery in Canberra have grown seedlings sourced from the trees at the Shrine of Remembrance and the Australian War Memorial respectively, which they have presented to schools as well as ex-service and other organisations throughout Australia.

 

Location

Address:Monsborough Drive, Wattle Park, 3128
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.839346
Long: 145.104889
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Tree
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Friday 8th May, 1953
Front Inscription

Lone Pine grown from Gallipoli lone pine seed in remembrance of fallen comrades 24th Battalion 8-5-53

This Lone Pine was re-dedicated and the ashes of the late Sir Frank Selleck, 24th. Battallion 1st. AIF (scattered here 10.10.1976) were consecrated in the presence of the 24 (AIF) and 2/24 Australian Infantry Battalion Associations.   7.5.1995

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design