Killara Uniting Church (former Congregational Church)Print Page
Killara Uniting Church (formerly the Congregational Church) was dedicated as a War Memorial Church in memory of those from the congregation who served in World War One.
The opening and dedication of the new Congregatlonal Church at Killara took place on Saturday afternoon, there being present about 400 members of the congregation and friends. The new church (an illustration of which was published in the "Herald" on Friday last) has been erected as a memorial to the members of the Church who served in the war. The opening ceremony was performed by Mr S. T. Greenwell (senior deacon of the church), who was accompanied by his daughter. The roll of honour, situated in the porch of the church was unveiled by Professor Sir Edgeworth David who, in an eloquent address extolled the virtues of the splendid men who never shrank from doing their duty in the days of storm and stress. Professor David paid a tribute not only to the men who served, but also to the splendid devotion of the women. The bronze honour roll contains twenty-five names, including those of A. F. Fry, D. B. Fry, D. S. Matheson, A.C. Nutter, F. A. Rea, E.J. Roberts, L. Rossbach, and W. E. Rossbach who paid the supreme sacrifice.
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 7 April 1924.
|Address:||Karranga Avenue & Arnold Street, Killara, 2071|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.764494|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Designer:||Messrs Budden & Greenwell (architects)|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Mr.P. Bottomley (builder)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 5th April, 1924|
To The Greater Glory Of God
This Foundation Stone Was Laid
On ANZAC Day 25th April 1923
This Church Was Erected In Recognition Of The
Grace And Favour Of Almighty God
As A Memorial Of Human Service And Sacrifice
In A Time Of Great National Peril 1914 - 1918