Field Gun MemorialPrint Page
A captured German field gun commemorates those who served in World War One. The gun has been relocated from its original location in Adelaide Road and Bridge Street.
The Returned Soldiers' Association of Murray Bridge has long desired to erect a memorial to their deceased comrades, but, not wishing to interfere with the hospital movement, made no special effort until Saturday 22nd October 1921, when they held a carnival in the afternoon at the Murray Bridge Showground, and conductcd a continental and Paddy's Market on the Diamond Park at night.
Prior to the set programme the opportunity was taken to unveil the captured German gun which had been allotted to the town. Cr. Parish (Chairman of the District Council of Mobilong) presided, and, having explained tbe object of the gathering, called upon the Hon. J. Cowan, M.L.C., to perform the unveiling ceremony, but before ask ing him to do so asked the gathering to stand in silence as a tribute to the memory of those who had given their lives in the Great War.
The Register (Adelaide), 26th October 1921.
|Address:||Lot 2 Ross Road, Murray Bridge R.S.L., Murray Bridge East, 5254|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.111834|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 22nd October, 1921|
This German field gun a souvenir of the Great War 1914-18 was presented to the citizens of Murray Bridge & District in recognition of those who served
"Lest We Forget"